Monday, June 20, 2016

Non-Beach Reads


Summer is upon us and what better way to enjoy summer than to lie in a hammock with a cool
breeze, a nice cold lemonade and a great book. But which book?

There are definitely books that you are more apt to read in the summer. They are usually
lighter, happier and carefree. Last year I decided to veer in a different path and I read those
books that people said were must reads.
What to Read? Click on  our Label Cloud tags in the sidebar
for more Summer Reading or Beach Reads
 While on vacation I packed my kindle and a few of our 50 cent sale books that just so happened
to be on my must read list. The flight was a long one so I was able to read How The Garcia
Girls Lost their Accent by Julia Alvarez in its entirety. The girls and their parents flee the
Dominican Republic in 1960 and arrive in NYC where the girls embrace the culture including
the English language and bell bottom pants earning their parents disapproval. I left the book on
the plane for the next passenger to enjoy. First day on the beach, I began the Guernsey Literary
Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows. This was an absolutely charming
book but not exactly the carefree reading you associate with summer. A writer uncovers a letter
and begins a correspondence with the people of Guernsey. Her life and her writing become
entwined with people she has never met. When I finished that I embarked on Cutting For
Stone by Abraham Verghese. This is the story of two twin brothers orphaned when their mom
dies and their father disappears. The author leads you on the brothers journeys from birth to
adulthood from the poor villages of India to NYC. Yes, It is a fabulous book but it is not a
beach read not to mention how much space it took up in my bag!! Oh I forgot to mention, my
kindle is full of those cozy mysteries about quintessential towns, cheese and flower shops and
culinary delights. Easy reads but is murder really a fun summer read?

I realized I was doing my summer reading homework while on vacation. My children hadnt
packed their required summer reading for school but it appeared I had. During one of our
sightseeing excursions, we came across a quaint town with a great little coffee shop, and an
even better new and used bookstore. Blissfully I selected books native to the area as well as
true beach reads. Soon I was immersed in a world of beach barbeques, drinks with quaint
umbrellas sticking out of them and true summer fun.

Ive learned my lesson. This year when we head out for vacation I will pack the newest book by
Taylor Jenkins Reid ~ One True Loves, and perhaps a Dorothea Benton Frank. I will save
those must reads for the fall when the children go back to school and we can all do our
homework together. Of course, I sure hope our vacation includes at least one new bookstore to
peruse.

~ Ann-Marie Sieczka
      June 17, 2016

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.