Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Librarian Proves Borneo Snake is a Hoax

Tech-savvy librarian Nathan Chadwick eased the fears of Borneo villagers, and other ophidiophobiacs, by proving that the recent photos of a giant river snake are fakes. Referring to the photo search engine TinEye which he used to find the original river photo sans snake, Mr. Chadwick told Scientific American,
"My co-workers and I are always obsessed with new ways of finding information," Chadwick tells ScientificAmerican.com. This "is merely one of those great tools that is revolutionizing the way we think about retrieving data."

A friend brought this article to my attention, knowing that I like to keep up with any news that boosts the coolness factor of the library profession. Way to go, obsessive, information-gathering computer geek, aka Chadwick the Mythbusting Librarian! I think I speak for many people when I say the world seems much safer without Nabu, the mythical 100 foot river snake of Borneo slithering around. And just in case, I bookmarked tineye.com, right next to the bookmark for snopes.com - the well-known virtual slayer of online urban legends.

No comments: