Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Summer Reading Defined


My definition of summer reading has evolved, or eroded, over the years.  In the beginning, I reserved the summer for catching up on books I didn’t have time to read during the winter.  More accurately, I spent the summer reading the important books I should have read and managed to avoid.

In an act of librarian rebellion, I switched to beach reading in the purist form.  If the book did not involve a beach, I didn’t read it.  Dorothea Benton Frank, Mary Kay Andrews, Phillip Craig, and Chris Grabenstein (Ceepak rules!) were among my favorites.  As you can tell, I did not discriminate between hot and cold ocean temperatures.  The only exceptions were books by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum) and Nancy Martin (Blackbird Sisters).  The exceptions were justified because the characters live in or drive through New Jersey which borders the Atlantic Ocean. 

This year, after starting the season with an unfortunate ocean experience, I have forsaken any books involving bodies of water larger than a rain puddle.  My 2012 summer reading choices are rewritten, revised, reconfigured fairy tales.  I have always enjoyed Eloisa James, so her Happily Ever Afters Series has made me very happy by fitting into the 2012 criteria.  The Duke is Mine (The Princess and the Pea), A Kiss at Midnight (Cinderella), and When Beauty Tamed the Beast (too obvious to mention) are most enjoyable.  I am already on the reserve list for The Ugly Duchess, scheduled for release in late August.  Kristine Grayson has created the wonderful Fates Series featuring characters such as Snow White, her Wicked Stepmother, and Prince Charming.  Although the first few titles are no longer available for purchase, BHPL owns Utterly Charming, Wickedly Charming, Thoroughly Kissed, etc.  Where else would PETA be People for the Ethical Treatment of Archetypes?  The newest title, Charming Blue, is due in September.

Enjoy the rest of the summer.  Please, do not drop library books into the sand.

posted by Stephanie Bakos

No comments: