Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Moonbows over Yellowstone

Lost in My Own Backyard by Tim Cahill, a deliciously short and often humorous book about hiking the backcountry in Yellowstone National Park, only took me a couple of days to read. (And by couple, I mean two. I am always getting asked at the fish counter if I would like two after I say "a couple". I guess they have to make sure. Anyway, end of digression.) Since hiking off trail in Yellowstone means no emergency services & the risk of encounters with grizzly bears, statistically this is something you're probably never going to do. Which is why you should read Cahill's book, because it sounds like the experience of a lifetime.

The photographer who went with Cahill on his trip, Tom Murphy, gave us a taste of some of the things that Cahill describes in Lost in My Own Backyard: moonbows, hoodoos (strangely shaped pillars) and the River of Reliable Rainbows.


Moonbow over Duanda Falls by Tom Murphy

Now I'm obsessed with the idea of seeing a moonbow of my own. Google Image Search has a lot of photos, which is the next best thing.

No comments: