Tuesday, May 30, 2017

What Should I Read Next? the Podcast

Audiobooks used to be my go-to listening on commutes, but then I had too many accidents of the bibliographic - thankfully not automotive - kind.  For example: I finally reached the last CD of Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian, disc 22, and it was too scratched to play. The book was not readily available to me at that time so I'm still fuzzy on the ending.  Then there was the time I listened to Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall with the chapters mixed up, because the CDs weren't loaded in order. . .  and the time that I was told by a friend that I missed a lot of important photographs that were in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, including the crucial flipbook at the end.

http://modernmrsdarcy.com/what-should-i-read-next/


So lately I have been listening to podcasts while I drive. I have a lot of favorites (The Moth, This American Life, TED Radio Hour), but the one that I have been listening to without fail for the past couple of months is What Should I Read Next.  Anne Bogel, who blogs at Modern Mrs. Darcy, cheerfully interviews one guest each week and they talk about what the guest is reading now, three books the guest loves and one book the guest hates; then Anne recommends more books that she thinks the guest will like. If you, like me, love to listen to conversations about books, tune in.  

You can't go wrong with the episode where Anne interviews Kathleen Grissom, author of the Kitchen House; or the episode entitled The Library Is Running My Life with Carolyn McCready, an acquisitions editor at a publishing house; or Episode 60 with cookbook author Melissa Joulwan.  I like hearing Anne's logic for why she selected her particular recommendations for that guest, and I usually end up adding a title or two to my own TBR (to be read list) too.

No comments: