Monday, February 22, 2010

Funny in Farsi


Funny in Farsi, a memoir of growing up Iranian in America by Firoozeh Dumas (2004) is a small book at only 198 pages, which is on the Governor Livingston High School summer reading list. I have recommended it many times to desperate students in late August and finally decided to read it myself. I'm glad I did. I can now recommend this warm-hearted account of the author's family and their experience as immigrants in 1970's U.S. where most Americans could not even find Iran on a map. Ms. Dumas comes across as a delightful person with a natural wit. The book is now being made into an ABC television series, so you should read it now before the show airs and either ruins the book or creates great demand for it.

Recommended highly for middle school age through adult.

No comments: