Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Questions of the Day

Q: My friend and I have a bet about who ran the fastest mile in 1948 or 1949. My friend says it's Roger Bannister and I can't remember the name of the guy who I think it was. His nickname was the Flying Preacher and he was from Kansas.

A: The name this person was looking for was Glenn Cunningham, a.k.a. the Kansas Flyer (although we still have no idea if he ran the fastest mile in 1948). Cunningham's legs were burned in a fire at age 8. His parents refused amputation and it took Glenn two years to even try to walk again.

How I found this:
I had no luck with almanacs or googling "Flying Preacher", so I looked at the Wikipedia page Mile Run World Record Progression and scanned for Americans in the 30s, 40s and 50s. Glenn Cunningham was the 1934 record holder. I clicked on his name and his nickname, the Kansas Flyer, jumped out at me. (Roger Bannister is the first person to run a mile in less than 4 minutes, if you're wondering).

Q: I have friend requests on Facebook from high school classmates who definitely weren't my friends back then. Did they really friend me or is this computer-generated based on mutual friends?

A: They really do want to be your friend now. Or your Facebook friend, at least.

Q: When did it snow here in January?

A: Last Thursday, January 28. You can go to weather.com and type in your zip code, then click on Month. Then click on previous month to get weather reports for January. If you need to go back further in time, check the site of the Office of the New Jersey State Climatologist. Click on Snow Event Totals. And be careful driving during the next Snow Event.

No comments: